(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Rapid Population Growth Consequences And Policy Implications"

83 percent of the abortions among 1,382 Japanese women were due to fears of difficulty in household financing; the remaining 17 percent were attributed to health reasons.
Studies from eastern Europe and the U.S.S.R. show that women cite low income, inadequate housing, excessive numbers of children, and interference with the mother's work as reasons for induced abortion (43-47).
Studies from France and Sweden revealed that economic indications were responsible for well over half of all abortions (48,49).
The situation is much the same for Latin America. Rice-Wray (50) reported that among 797 abortions performed among 1,000 interviewed women in Mexico, 46.2 percent were sought as a result of economic pressures compared with 19.9 percent for health reasons. In Chile studies conducted in Santiago, Conception, and Antofagasta by the Department of Epidemiology at the School of Public Health (22, 51), indicated that for the three cities 48 percent of the recorded abortions were due to economic reasons, 10.7 percent for health reasons, and 10.6 percent because of large family size. In Santiago these figures were 56.5 percent, 7.2 percent, and 8.7 percent respectively. Figure 3 illustrates the relative proportions of induced abortion attributed to various indications in a number of countries.
Emanicipation of Women
With increasing frequency, fervor, and logic it is maintained that too many children interfere with the life and leisure of an emanicipated woman, particularly if the woman is gainfully employed outside the home. For many coun-
OTHER
ILLEGITIMACY
MARITAL
PROBLEMS HEALTH UNWANTED LARGE FAMILY
OTHER ILLEGITIMACY
1000                                                   URBAN
OTHER
MARITAL PROD FEAR OF LAPOR ILLNES3
SMALL YOUNGEST!
OTHER
FAMILY TROUBLES
HEALTH
MANYCHILORE
OTHER
FAMILY TROUBLES
HBALTII
Figure 3. Major indications for induced abortion in various countries. Sources: (22,42,51-53). traditional values with small family norms and low fertility.